Saturday, September 29, 2012

White Bean & Chicken Chili

I acquired this recipe via my mother-in-law... via my sister-in-law... via her grandmother.  It's a slow cooker recipe that is so simple to put together and incredibly delicious.  Bonus:  it's also another healthy recipe.

I usually serve it with grilled sourdough.  This particular recipe will feed 5-6, or for Matt and I... two meals (we severely lack portion control).

Everything goes right into the crock pot:

-6 x boneless chicken breast halves, sliced into large chunks
-48 oz (give or take a few depending on the size cans you get) of great white northern beans - undrained (I usually drain about half of each can anyway)
-1 x 8oz block of monterey jack cheese, shredded
-1 x can diced jalepeños (I love the kick of these -- add less if you're not a spicy fan)
-1 x chopped onion
-1 x chopped green pepper (I have forgotten this before and not even noticed a difference in taste)
-1 x cup chopped celery (3-4 stalks)
-16 oz mango salsa (I always have a hard time finding this so I usually use 8 oz salsa verde and 8 oz pineapple salsa
-2 Tbsp cumin
-1 Cup white wine (a chef once told me that you should never cook with wine you wouldn't drink.  I whole-heartedly agree.)

Once everything is in the crockpot, if you're in more of a "rush" cook on high for 1.5 - 2 hours and then low for 3 more hours... if you've got all day, cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve with grilled sourdough bread.

As with most crockpot recipes, this is even better the second day.


No comments:

Post a Comment