Sunday, September 23, 2012

Best Hummus. Period.

Did I create the recipe myself?  Of course not (As much as I'd like to say I'm an inventor, I'm just not.  I love finding / following great recipes and then altering them to my taste).  I found this recipe by googling "best hummus" and do, in fact, agree.  This is the best hummus I've ever consumed.  I hope you can enjoy it, too, cleanly and conveniently created in your trusty Cuisinart food processor.

Although I did follow this recipe almost to a T, after my first try I've since held back just a hair on the Tahini and added a touch more of the lemon juice, plus added lots of freshly ground pepper and topped it with a really great finishing olive oil.  I like to think these touches put the recipe over the top, so my slight alterations are included in the recipe below (double the recipe to make enough to last a few days).

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic
1 (19 Oz) can of garbanzo beans, draining most - but not all of - the liquid. (Save about 5 beans for garnishing)
4 T lemon juice
1 3/4 T tahini
1 tsp salt
A healthy amount of freshly ground pepper
2 T olive oil 
(Plus another 1 - 2 T of a high quality finishing oil to drizzle on before serving)

Directions:
Using a food processor, chop the garlic.  Pour the garbanzo beans into the blender.  Place lemon juice, tahini, salt, pepper, and the first 2 T olive oil into the food processor as well.  Blend until creamy and well mixed.
Empty into serving bowl.  Top with reserved garbanzo beans and drizzle with finishing olive oil. 
Serve with warm pita chips.

To make the pita chips -- simply slice pita bread into small pieces, place on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil over the top along with a sprinkling of sea salt.  Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes at 250 until bread is golden and crispy.


No comments:

Post a Comment