Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Easy Weeknight Meal.




These 2 recipes combine to make my fiancé's very favorite meal.
(so he says)
I'm almost disappointed that they've won the title as it is one of the easiest, quickest and least complicated meals to create. (What about the 4-hour braised short ribs?)
I usually double the recipe so we have plenty of leftovers.

Part 1:
Parmesan-Dijon Chicken
(bettycrocker.com, plus my own additions/alterations)
Yields: 3 - 4 people

1/4 Cup butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard - I use equal parts butter to dijon
3/4 Cup Progresso dry bread crumbs
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese - I use equal parts bread crumbs to cheese
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 3/4 lbs) - I found that cutting the chicken breasts into bite size pieces coats each piece with far more flavor than a whole breast

Heat oven to 375ºF. Mix butter and mustard in shallow dish until well mixed - Use a big bowl for this instead: see why in next step. Mix bread crumbs and cheese in large plastic bag.
Dip one piece of chicken at a time into butter mixture, coating all sides - Far less time consuming to dump all chicken pieces into the large bowl and mix with spoon - or hands - until every piece is coated.
Then place in bag of bread crumbs, seal bag and shake to coat with crumb mixture
Place chicken in single layer in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches - I also dump the leftover soaking bread crumb mixture over the top for extra flavor
Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. - No turning necessary. Though I usually turn up the oven 100 degrees for the last 5 - 7 minutes to give it just a little extra crisp on the outside.





Part 2:
Ancini di Pepe with Spinach and Feta
(epicurious.com, with my own additions/substitutions)
Yields: 6 side dish servings - 3 in reality. Another reason I always
double the recipe.

  • 1/2 lb acini di pepe or orzo (1 1/4 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes - I use closer to 1 - 2 Tbsp - we like a good kick of spice
  • 3 scallions, chopped - I use 3 shallots
  • 1 (10-oz) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta (3 oz; preferably French) - I use a full 6 oz. package


  • Accompaniment: lemon wedges - I find its crucial to the dish to add the juice of about 3 lemons, with an additional 4 - 6 thin slices of lemon for presentation.

Cook pasta in a 4- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until al dente, then drain well in a course-mesh sieve.
Transfer to a bowl and keep warm, covered.
Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté garlic, red pepper flakes, and scallions (shallots), stirring occasionally until garlic is golden, about 2 minutes.
Add spinach and cook, stirring until heated through, about 4 minutes.
Toss pasta with spinach mixture and feta (and lemon juice) until combined.
Season with salt and pepper - I usually sprinkle a few more red pepper flakes here, to taste.
Place lemon slices on top of pasta for presentation.

No rocket science here, but both recipes are packed with flavor.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

(I realized just now that I've never taken a photo of this dish. I will do that the next time I make it and update this post!)

1 comment:

  1. Quick and easy chicken? Yes, I will try that one for sure.

    ReplyDelete