Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Spicy Pesto + Old Quebec Vintage Cheddar

I went a little crazy at the farmer's market this past weekend.  I came home with way too much arugula and basil (it smells SO GOOD) and decided to make pesto.  A lot of pesto.  Of course it doesn't keep very long so now I'm faced with the issue of wastefulness... to battle it we'll be eating a lot of pesto this week.

Since I've posted the recipe before I won't pain you with it again, you can find it here.  To make it spicy I added a heaping tablespoon of dried red pepper flakes to the garlic when sauteing.  It was probably a little too much, the kick will be overwhelming to a non-spicy fan, but if you like heat, give it a try.  This time around I changed my basil-arugula ratio to 1:1.

In addition to my farmer's market outing I hit up my favorite local cheese shop, The Cheese Store of Silver Lake. Looking for an aged cheddar, I left for home with a raw cow's milk Canadian 4 year aged block.  Extra sharp with a hint of caramel, and so delicious it demanded immediate consumption.

So Sunday's lunch incorporated both of my weekend finds, baguette slices with spicy pesto and Old Quebec Vintage Cheddar.  So good.



No comments:

Post a Comment