Sunday, December 09, 2012

Mom's NY Style Cheesecake.

I hesitated posting this recipe because like my Grandma Jean's banana bread, it feels almost sacrilegious.  That being said, who am I to deprive anybody of great food?  I got the OK from Mom this morning.  Putting all biases aside, this is hands-down the most delicious cheesecake I've ever eaten (I have, as you can imagine, eaten my fair share of cheesecakes).
My mom's been baking this recipe my whole life.  For whatever reason I wasn't a fan until my teenage years, but since the day I actually gave it a chance, it was all over.  She got the recipe from a colleague of hers in the early 70s and has been making it ever since.  Truly famous in our family, and maybe someday in yours.

A few tidbits I've learned since making it myself... 
1.  The brand of cream cheese is extremely important.  Philadelphia is the best, and honestly unless you have a superior brand (if so, please share) this will make or break the quality of the cake.
2.  I tried it this time using my KitchenAid Stand Mixer.  This was a mistake.  A hand mixer does a better job really getting in and incorporating all of the ingredients.  I was left with a handful of cream cheese lumps without it (could I have used the wrong attachment? Very possible.)
3.  The process of whipping the cream cheese first and really blending it all well is important.  If you (like me) sometimes just shrug your shoulders at the process, combine all ingredients at once and mix, this is the one time you're going to want to, well, not do that.  It's a bit laborious but also very important.  Follow the instructions to the T!

40+ years later, here is the best NY Style Cheesecake you'll ever make. Thanks, Mom.

Ingredients:

5 packs (40oz) of Philadelphia cream cheese
5 eggs
1 ¼ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp lemon juice

Crust:
8 tbsp graham cracker crumbs (in a box, as crumbs)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp margarine (in tiny pieces)
¼ tsp cinnamon

Start with the crust:
Combine dry ingredients first.  Slowly blend margarine into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.  Once completely incorporated, spread in (margarine greased) bottom spring form pan.  I do this last bit with my fingers.

Filling:
Using a hand mixer, mix a couple (really, just 2) packs of cream cheese until VERY smooth – add 1 more pack at a time, until they’re all smooth.  If this gets tough, add an egg or two.  (I always add the first egg between packs 3 and 4, then the second between 4 and 5).  Once cream cheese is totally smooth, add all remaining ingredients and mix just until they’re blended.  Pour into pan on top of crust.

Bake at 450 for 30 – 35 minutes.

It is best to make the cheesecake the day before you're serving it, so once it cools after baking, you can set it in the fridge over night.  Serve it fresh from the fridge if possible.  My mom sticks to tradition and serves it with sweetened strawberries (yes, the frozen kind - so you have the juices).  I prefer serving it plain.

I really hope you try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment