Sunday, May 26, 2013

Meet Phoebe.

It's been a year and 4 months since we lost our Zoe.  Given our love of dogs and the heartbreaking amount of dogs in shelters, some not making it out before their time is up (a sickening 60% of shelter dogs in the US end up being euthanized when not adopted in the short time they are given), we decided to open our home again to a dog in need.  Meet the newest member of our family, Phoebe. 
Phoebe's a pit bull puppy.  Living in the Los Angeles bubble that I do, I was shocked when I received less than positive feedback when sharing our adoption plans with some friends and family outside our city.  LA is the home to what feels like more pit bulls than any other breed, and of those I've met, I've never known one less than loving, intelligent, and eager to please.  We've had Phoebe for 2 weeks and she has already learned to sit, shake, and is well on her way to being house trained.  At 9 weeks old she has already stolen our hearts.

I didn't realize people today still have the misunderstanding of the breed from years ago and I find it sad and frustrating.  I've found myself repeating the phrase 'there are no bad dogs, only owners,' and sent the below article to a number of people close to me to help educate them of their misconception.

I hope you read it, too. 




















You can find the original article, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment