Sunday, February 27, 2011

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

Christmas 2009 I received a slow cooker from my sister (I'd been hoping for one) and shamefully have since used it only a handful of times.  I promised myself 2011 would bring more use of the slow cooker.
Keeping with my promise, in the last 3 weeks I have proudly brought it out twice!  First for the chili in my Sloppy Joe (Cheez Wiz) post a few weeks ago, and then again last week.
Matt's friend hosted a southern-style potluck dinner party last weekend.  Besides box-mix cornbread, I've never cooked anything southern in my life.  Inspired to go big, I looked up a famous dish I'd never even tasted before... jambalaya.  How tough could it be?
Researching and settling on a popular slow-cooker recipe online, I made the following dish to which I proudly received rave reviews at the party:


Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya
Mind you... allrecipes.com is fantastic - it lets you enter in the amount of servings you want, and calculates the measures of ingredients accordingly.  Be warned - since we were bringing for a potluck, my recipe serves 12:


Ingredients
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper (I doubled Matt suggested giving it extra kick)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 lb frozen cooked shrimp without tails
*I also added 3 cloves garlic, minced, as I found other recipes to encourage it


Directions
In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth.  Season with oregano, parsley, Cajon seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High.
Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
*If nearing the end of the cook time and its looking too soupy, take the cover off and let some of the liquid cook off.
*I also added 2 cups cooked rice at the end instead of serving separately.


Matt, a lover of jambalaya and all thing spicy, says it's one of the best he's had.  
I highly recommend you try it, too!

I also made pre-mix buttermilk biscuits.  I was out of time and energy, but had to bring something to serve along with the jambalaya.  They were dry and gross, but I suppose thats what I get for making a "just-add-water" mix.  Paula Dean would shake her head in shame.  Anyway, if anybody out there has a homemade recipe they're willing to share, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment