Monday, March 28, 2011

Chive Cheese

I have countless memories from my early childhood.  Some are of significant milestones that I'd expect to remember, and others just a moment or conversation that for whatever reason decided to stick around.
My dad's father, my Grandpa Pete, passed away when I was twelve.  I wish I'd had more time to get to know him, but I'm grateful for all of the little memories I've got, like playing checkers on a rainy afternoon, how his Slovak accent pronounced my name       "'Liz-abet", watching him create woodwork art projects in in his workshop, or that time he told me his missing finger was the result of a nasty shark bite (I believed this for years).  Anyway, the reason for my sudden nostalgia is because one memory about my Grandpa Pete came to the forefront of my mind this weekend and it directly relates to this blog.

Grandpa Pete more often than not had a breakfast of bacon, toast, and his very own 'chive cheese' (cream cheese blended with fresh chives from his garden).  As you can imagine, I LOVED chive cheese.  In fact I thought my grandfather was its sole creator until I was about 16 years old and noticed the Philadelphia brand's "Whipped Chive Cream Cheese" staring me in the face at Stop 'N Shop.

When rummaging through the refrigerator for a snack this weekend and seeing a block of Philadelphia, I was inspired.  My own take of my grandfather's chive cheese is as follows, such an easy way to add a little punch to your cream cheese:

1 package Philadelphia cream cheese
A handful of fresh chives
A small amount of olive oil

Put the cream cheese into a mixing bowl, add chopped chives, drizzle in olive oil, and use a hand mixer to blend.
Spread over toast or crackers.

Here are some photos of the end result, and a bonus one of my Grandpa Pete, just because it makes me smile.




:)

No comments:

Post a Comment